Tailoring in Bangkok, Thailand

The first time I went to Thailand was for a Summer in 2004 with my husband to do mission work. We had heard from the other American students all about getting suits made while in Bangkok.  I would have loved to get one however I was about to start my second trimester and was already showing.  A maternity suit that would not last though out  my entire pregnancy was not on my current shopping list of souvenirs from South East Asia.  In 2006 I returned to Thailand and went on to visit Cambodia with my mum to go to the Asian Mission Forum.  Before leaving to go back to California my mum surprised me with getting a suit tailored in Bangkok, Thailand.  There are many tailors to choose from and some may have their perks. But basically whichever you choose you are going to be getting a suit custom made for you for way less than it would be in the US.

I have memories of waking down the the street of designer stores with my dad as he picked out the suits he liked best to have a tailor make him.  It is what inspired me to have a seamstress make the designer bridal gown I fell in love with for my wedding.  Aside from that I did not know exactly what to expect when we first entered the shop.  Upon arrival we were sat down in the reception area, looking through books of photos to choose the design we liked best.  Once that is decided you choose your fabric.  I also was getting blouses made to wear with my suit and was excited to choose the fabric and colour for those.  I have never had a blouse fit me perfectly from a department store.  Either it is too tight on top, or fits the bust perfectly but is too lose in the midsection.  I have to say after getting my blouses back, you can never go back to off the rack.  If you do, you will want to get them tailored before wearing them.  

My three piece suit (Jacket, trousers, and a skirt) are still in my wardrobe seven years later.  I have gotten to wear it on multiple occasions despite not having an office job.  The photo pictured below of me in my suit is from the Balvenie Whiskey tasting at the infamous Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, California.  While I still love my suit I would love to go back to Thailand and come home with three more suits and maybe seven blouses.  I know my husband is still a tiny bit jealous he did not get to go.



Q: Have you ever had a suit tailored for you? Where did you get yours made?  Would you go to Thailand just get clothes?

XX,
B.

7 comments:

  1. When my husband was stationed in South Korea, him and all his guy friends got suits made. The guys name was 'Boss Chong' haha! But they all had 'Armani' (WITH fake buttons) made for like $150! Can't beat that! He wears his a few times a year, its cute!

    www.breeannahope.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing this this weekend and I'm so excited. I'm afraid I'm going to want 7 suits though. Yikes!
    Glad you thought it was well worth it. I needed some affirmation to tell my husband that I deserve 7 suits haha.

    http://abroadsworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting custom-fitted clothes is really cool--I've never worn a suit at all--but when I lived in SE Asia, I had sari blouses sewn for me and tunics, too, and that was fun. I'm planning to do plenty of clothes shopping next time I go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had anything custom made, but really should look into it as I do not fit properly into any high street clothes as I am short, big and have an enourmous chest. Never a good combo when high street shopping as things are either too big, too small or too long! I bet it feels great to wear something that fits just right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a great suit! When we lived in China, I spent a lot of time in tbe fabric markets, usually for dresses rather than suits, as we often found ourselves going to super fancy parties. My best piece was a men-style tuxedo jacket that I used to wear all the time. Unfortunately the Indo climate gives me little opportunity to sport a jacket, so it's languishing in the back of my closet.
    But, the good news is that in Indo there's some amazing textile, and I'm finding lots of excuses to visit fabric markets here! (And, ps, stay tuned for a new project related to this!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had anything tailored... oh, wait... I remember: a ball gown for a school ball when I studied abroad in Austria. We had to add straps to that puppy because I'm, um, top-heavy, haha!

    But I probably should get more things tailored 'cause I'm short and pants and long sleeves can be long on me! If I go to Bangkok, I may just have to do this! :) Thanks for sharing!

    --Erika
    http://www.chimerikal.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are in Thailand and looking for best tailor - Narry welcomes you. Perfection is main key for our tailor business.http://www.narry.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love to interact with my readers and I try my best to respond back to all comments.

Cheers,
Bonnie Rose

Disqus for A Compass Rose

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...