Top Ten List for Expats with Kids


I recently wrote a top ten list entitled, '10 Things Expats Raising Children in England Should Know' for the expat blog network Expatsblog.com for their March '13 Contest.  For just a couple more days you can go read my entry and help by commenting and sharing the post on various social networks.  

I have posted just a little sneak peek here, but you will have to go read the full list on their website. 


10 Things Expats Raising Children in England Should Know
  1. Depending on the age of your children and how long you will be living in the country, you may be raising Third Culture Kids, or TCK for short. Find out as much information on the subject as you can. American sociologist David C. Pollock coined TCKs as “a person who has spent a significant part of his or her developmental years outside the parents' culture. The TCK frequently builds relationships to all of the cultures, while not having full ownership in any. Although elements from each culture may be assimilated into the TCK's life experience, the sense of belonging is in relationship to others of similar background.” 
  2. Expect that your children will face some sort of culture shock in England, even if you are moving from another english speaking country like the United States. Culture shock does not necessary happen immediately and can differ between individuals. Prepare your children for the tough times so that when a situation arises you can meet the challenge with comfort and flexibility.
  3. Realize that your kids may transition faster in a country as a child than you will as an adult. I had lived in England as a young girl, but with raising two boys in school over here found them to adjust quicker to life in England. My boys would correct my word choice or even my pronunciation of words from the 'American' to the 'English'. Kids are quite resilient and impressionable when taking in a new culture and learning the laws of the land. 

By: Bonnie Rose



To read the rest view at: http://www.expatsblog.com/contests/318/10-things-expats-raising-children-in-england-should-know


 Please help me to win a prize by 
sharing my contest entry on 
Twitter, Facebook, etc and by 
leaving a really good comment!

*graphic made and owned by Bonnie Rose www.bonnie-rose.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to interact with my readers and I try my best to respond back to all comments.

Cheers,
Bonnie Rose

Disqus for A Compass Rose

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...